Token used to Enter the Gardens in 1836
HOME GARDENS INFORMATION HISTORY EVENTS COLLECTIONS CONTACTS LINKS



HOME PAGE > RESTORATION > LANDSCAPE >
Woodland Garden and South Lawn

Woodland Garden (Area Q)

This small sheltered valley has been planted with groups of Japanese maples, North American maples, a number of Hamamelis x intermedia (Witch Hazel) cultivars for winter beauty, and a small collection of lacecap hydrangeas. In this area we hope to demonstrate how traditional management systems developed for coppiced woodlands can be adapted to the garden situation to create a colourful and changing ground flora. A mix of wild and garden plants has been used in this experimental area. The work is being supervised and led by staff from the Landscape Department at the University of Sheffield, with site preparation and planting carried out by the Gardens' staff and FOBS.

Spring 2008 update

The planned naturalistic plantings are developing well, with swathes of mainly European plants establishing under new maples and birches. Both primroses and oxlips have established very well among the developing shrubs. Echinacea purpurea, Aster macrophyllus and Aster divaricatus provide a spectacle of late summer colour, blending into the neighbouring prairie plantings, (and incidentally showing remarkable tolerance of the dry, rooty shade developed locally under big trees).

Woodland Garden - © Sue Kohler

Woodland Garden

Primula elatior - © Sue Kohler, 2007

Primula elatior

Primula vulgaris - © Sue Kohler, 2007

Primula vulgaris

Eranthis hyemalis - © Sue Kohler, 2007

Eranthis hyemalis

Echinacea purpurea - © Sue Kohler, 2006

Echinacea purpurea

Arum italicum - © Sue Kohler

Arum italicum

 


Restoration Partnership: Sheffield Town Trust |  Sheffield City Council |  University of Sheffield  
Friends of the Botanical Gardens |  Sheffield Botanical Gardens Trust  

©SHEFFIELD BOTANICAL GARDENS TRUST
Clarkehouse Road, Sheffield, S10 2LN. Tel: +44 (0)114 268 6001
Site created by Gumshoe Software Limited.
This page updated on 26 November 2008. This site updated on 19 November 2012.