The Sheffield Town Trust
The Sheffield Town Trust (Registered Charity Number 223760) was established in 1297 and is one of the oldest charities in England.
The Trust supports a wide range of groups and organisations some on an annual basis but most as one-off grants. The Trustees meet four times a year in February, May, August and November to discuss the many applications received and are able to support about 140 charities, groups and organisations each year.
Since 1898 Sheffield Botanical Gardens have been owned by the Town Trust. The Gardens have been leased to Sheffield City Council since 1951 on a 99-year lease at a peppercorn rent which is currently 5p a quarter. Over the years the Trust has awarded substantial grants to the Gardens.