Token used to Enter the Gardens in 1836
HOME GARDENS INFORMATION HISTORY EVENTS COLLECTIONS CONTACTS LINKS



HOME PAGE > RESTORATION > LANDSCAPE > Osborn's Field

Osborn's Field (Area J)

Osborn's Field is a secluded, south-west facing garden and was donated to the Botanical Gardens in 1935 by Sir Samuel Osborn, when he was chairman of the Town Trustís Gardens Committee. It is very sheltered and, therefore, perfect for trialling borderline hardy plants. Sophora, Abutilon, Coronilla, Corokia, Vestia and many others have all survived and flowered very well. The particularly sheltered border, along the wall, offers many different conditions, from full sun to light shade and dry to wet soil. This allows a wide range of shrubs, herbaceous and bulbous plants to be trialled, with a number from Chile planted in the damp shade at the southern end of the border. The bed bordering the path now contains a developing collection of Caprifoliaceae underplanted with Hemerocallis and Helleborus x hybridus varieties.

Osborn's Field - © Meg Jullien

Liriodendron tulipifera - Tulip tree


Restoration Partnership: Sheffield Town Trust |  Sheffield City Council |  University of Sheffield  
Friends of the Botanical Gardens |  Sheffield Botanical Gardens Trust  

©SHEFFIELD BOTANICAL GARDENS TRUST
Clarkehouse Road, Sheffield, S10 2LN. Tel: +44 (0)114 268 6001
Site created by Gumshoe Software Limited.
This page updated on 26 November 2008. This site updated on 19 November 2012.