Token used to Enter the Gardens in 1836
HOME GARDENS INFORMATION HISTORY EVENTS COLLECTIONS CONTACTS LINKS



HOME PAGE > RESTORATION > LANDSCAPE > Gardenesque Area

Main Lawns (Areas F&G)

The historic heart of the Gardens is planted to emulate the Gardenesque design style, where scattered plantings have been given enough space to develop their full beauty. The Botanical Gardens are considered to be one of the best examples in the country of the Gardenesque style and it was Robert Marnock, their designer and first curator, who perfected the style when he laid them out in 1836.

Along the central Broadwalk between the East and West Lawns substantial 80m long herbaceous borders were developed in the 1930s, under the curatorship of Mr Charles Curtis. As part of the Restoration Project they were re-designed as mixed herbaceous/shrub borders, and planted by the FOBS and the Gardens' staff in 2002. Waves of colour develop all through the season, shown to advantage by the solid green of the backing holly hedges; the use of many ornamental grasses gives softer tones in the winter.

The National Collections of Weigela and Diervilla have been established on the East Lawn and are managed and recorded by a volunteer member of FOBS.

West Lawn in the Autumn - © Meg Jullien

West Lawn in the Autumn

Main Borders - © Peggy Cable, 2007

Main Borders

Main Lawns Evening - © Meg Jullien, 2008

Main Lawns Evening

Main Lawns Evening - © Meg Jullien, 2008

Main Lawns and Pavilions Evening

Weigela (Florida Variegata) - © Meg Jullien, 2006

Weigela (Florida Variegata)

Weigela (Rumba) - © Alison Hunter, 2008

Weigela (Rumba)


Restoration Partnership: Sheffield Town Trust |  Sheffield City Council |  University of Sheffield  
Friends of the Botanical Gardens |  Sheffield Botanical Gardens Trust  

©SHEFFIELD BOTANICAL GARDENS TRUST
Clarkehouse Road, Sheffield, S10 2LN. Tel: +44 (0)114 268 6001
Site created by Gumshoe Software Limited.
This page updated on 26 November 2008. This site updated on 19 November 2012.